Monday 30 May 2011

Books I'm Squeeing about in June

May has been a pretty awesome month - although I'm still waiting for Mr Postman to bring me some of the books I was squeeing about...
June and July are going to be very expensive months, because a lot of my favourite authors have taken it upon themselves to all publish in the same months (and in some cases on the same days...)
So to ease us into the mayhem of July, June is bringing some awesome titles that I am not so much squeeing about, as going completely insane with waiting for them.

2nd - Just Like Heaven by Julia Quinn

Honoria Smythe-Smith is:
A) a really bad violinist
B) still miffed at being nicknamed "Bug" as a child
C) not in love with her older brother's best friend
D) all of the above
Marcus Holroyd is:
A) the Earl of Chatteris
B) regrettably prone to sprained ankles
C) not in love with his best friend's younger sister
D) all of the above
Together they:
A) eat quite a bit of chocolate cake
B) survive a deadly fever and the world's worst musical performance
C) fall quite desperately in love

It's Julia Quinn at her best, so you know the answer is . . .
D) all of the above

I dare anyone to not think that combination is awesome. Ok, well it’s only awesome if you like regency romance, but if you do then Julia Quinn is one of the best. Her stories are light and fluffy, they’re brilliantly written, hysterically funny, with swoonworthy romance and gorgeous heroes. What more could you possibly want? Actually I want more than one book a year from her, but failing that this is all I could possibly want. Seriously, Julia Quinn is like chicken soup for me. She got me through my A Levels, my uni degree, and now through the trials and tribulations of real life. And I can’t wait to fall in love with this latest hero and heroine. Cue chocolate and swooning.

You can pre-order this book in paperback here.
The kindle version is available on 31st May and can be bought here.

21st - Stolen Nights by Rebecca Maizel

Lenah Beaudonte should be dead. But having sacrificed herself to save another, she finds herself awakening with strange powers that are neither vampire nor human - and a new enemy on her trail. In her vampire life, Lenah had thought that being human was all she ever wanted; but the human heart suffers pain, heartbreak and loss. With her new powers growing and the dark force of the Nex after her soul, Lenah faces a choice: between the mortal love of gorgeous Justin, whose passion fed her human soul, and taking a different 
path to become the mistress of her own destiny, wherever that may lead . . .

I’m not sure how I feel about this book. On the one hand, I loved the ending of the first book which I read and reviewed in January this year, and I’m kind of grumpy she didn’t die. On the other, I loved the first book so much I’m just happy to get another opportunity to get back into Lenah’s world and mind. The book was brilliantly written and a beautifully fresh take on an old myth, and I’m looking forward to a fresh piece of the story.

You can pre-order your copy here.

21st - The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn

Partners now in marriage and in trade, Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane have finally returned from abroad to set up housekeeping in London. But merging their respective collections of gadgets, pets and servants leaves little room for the harried newlyweds themselves, let alone Brisbane's private enquiry business.
Among the more unlikely clients: Julia's very proper brother, Lord Bellmont, who swears Brisbane to secrecy about his case. Not about to be left out of anything concerning her beloved—if eccentric—family, spirited Julia soon picks up the trail of the investigation.

It leads to the exclusive Ghost Club, where the alluring Madame Séraphine holds evening séances…and not a few powerful gentlemen in thrall. From this eerie enclave unfolds a lurid tangle of dark deeds, whose tendrils crush reputations and throttle trust.
Shocked to find their investigation spun into salacious newspaper headlines, bristling at the tension it causes between them, the Brisbanes find they must unite or fall. For Bellmont's sake and more they'll face myriad dangers born of dark secrets, the kind men kill to keep….

Anyone who hasn’t yet been introduced to my love of Deanna Raybourn’s ‘Lady Julia Grey’ series, go and read my review of ‘Dark Road to Darjeeling’ and bask in her awesomeness.
Seriously, words can barely describe how much I love these books, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the fifth book in the series. The Lady Julia Grey books are a perfect blend of mystery, crime, humour and Victorian manners. It’s a seamless blend of perfection that draw you into the world and weave these incredible stories around you. I’m so excited to see Brisbane and Julia back in London again – the first time since the first book. There’s so much that needs resolving, and I cannot wait to immerse myself back in their world.
If you haven’t had the pleasure of reading these books, whilst you could launch in mid-series, I’d recommend starting with book one “Silent in the Grave” because then you get to witness the fabulous build-up of emotions and relationships over the next four books. And of course you get more time in Julia’s world…

You can pre-order your copy here.

21st - Legacy by Cayla Kluver

The first boy disappeared on the day of his birth, on a night when the pale yellow moon of the nighttime sky turned red and bathed the heavens in the ghastly color of blood, on the same night the Kingdom of Cokyri abruptly ceased its merciless attack.
Across the land of Hytanica, under the shadow of the crimson moon, infant boys continued to vanish. Not until the blood had faded from the sky did the disappearances stop and the bodies of the murdered infants were found outside the gates of the city, a final word from the greatest enemy Hytanica had ever known. For the next sixteen years, peace reigned, but one mystery remained unsolved. The Cokyrians had abducted forty-nine newborns, but returned only forty-eight bodies.
Now, as seventeen-year-old Princess Alera of Hytanica is besieged from all sides by suitors vying for the Throne, a teenage Cokyrian boy, Narian, is encountered within the walls of her Kingdom, a boy who will show Alera a world where women serve a purpose and not just a husband. As Narian helps Alera find her voice, she struggles against an arranged marriage that will shatter the life she has scarcely begun to live. And when Narian's shocking past is uncovered, and war with Cokyri looms once more, he must fight to defy a fate ordained at his birth.



This release date refers to the paperback version of the book.
I’ve never heard of Cayla Kluver before, so this is my wild card, want to read based purely on the blurb – which looks awesome by the way. I’m a complete sucker for fantasy in all its forms, and I’ve read a lot of urban fantasy this year, and I’m looking forward to a big splurge of high fantasy in ‘Legacy’. So I can’t tell you more about this, as all I know is the blurb itself. But I’m curious and I can’t wait to read it and find out more.



You can pre-order your copy here.
Or purchase the hardback version here.

No comments:

Post a Comment