Tuesday 3 April 2012

Books I'm Squeeing about in April

Somehow April has managed to sneak up on me without my noticing. March was quiet. Well it wasn't. I lie, it was so busy I barely had time to read anything, so I'm planning on making up for that this month with an insane number of awesome books that I cannot wait to get onto my to read pile.
So without further ado, look at the awesomeness!


3rd - Black Heart by Holly Black
Cassel Sharpe knows he’s been used as an assassin, but he’s trying to put all that behind him. He’s trying to be good, even though he grew up in a family of con artists and cheating comes as easily as breathing to him. He’s trying to do the right thing, even though the girl he loves is inextricably connected with crime. And he’s trying to convince himself that working for the Feds is smart, even though he’s been raised to believe the government is the enemy. 

But with a mother on the lam, the girl he loves about to take her place in the Mob, and new secrets coming to light, the line between what’s right and what’s wrong becomes increasingly blurred. When the Feds ask Cassel to do the one thing he said he would never do again, he needs to sort out what’s a con and what’s truth. In a dangerous game and with his life on the line, Cassel may have to make his biggest gamble yet—this time on love.



I could wax lyrical about how freaking awesome this series is for ever. Fantastic premise, fantastic writing, fantastic characters - the list goes on. So on the one hand I literally cannot wait to get my hands on this book, but on the other I'm really sad to see it finished. But the excitement is outweighing everything right now...
Also, look at the pretty new covers! I swooned all over again and will have to buy all new copies so I can look at the pretties all the time...


5th - Black Arts by Andrew Prentice and Jonathan Weil

Elizabethan London: a teeming city of traders and thieves, courtiers and preachers, riff-raff and quality, cut-throats - and demons. When scrunty Jack the 'Judicious Nipper' picks the wrong pocket at the Globe Theatre, he finds himself mixed up in an altogether more dangerous London than he could have imagined - a city in which magic is real and deadly.
An outbreak of devil-worship has led to a wave of anti-witch fervor whipped up by the Elect, a mysterious group of Puritans recognizable from their red-stained right hands, led by the charismatic Nicholas Webb, a growing power at Court. Rumour has it that he wants to purge the city entirely and build a New Jerusalem. Jack has his own reason for hating him: he saw him kill his mother.
Helped by Beth Sharkwell the Thief Princess of Lambeth, Kit Morely the Intelligencer and Dr Dee the Queen's Wizard, Jack pits himself against Webb's Puritans. But this is no straightforward struggle. Things are not as they seem. In fact, ever since his encounter with Webb, there has been something wrong with Jack's vision. He keeps seeing things. Demons.

Not gonna lie, very un-fussed on the cover - BUT DO NOT LET THAT PUT YOU OFF!!! Because I almost did, and then I heard all the fab things people had to say about it, so I gave it a shot and it is phenomenal. Seriously, it's an enthralling tale that wraps you up completely. Fast paced, action packed, but at the same time a book that takes its time and builds into this fantastic completely vivid and nail biting novel. It's amazing, I love it, words cannot describe my love, but I shall do my best in my review later this month!

Savannah Colbert has never known why she's so hated by the kids of the Clann. Nor can she deny her instinct to get close to Clann golden boy Tristan Coleman. Especially when she recovers from a strange illness and the attraction becomes nearly irresistible. It's as if he's a magnet, pulling her gaze, her thoughts, even her dreams. Her family has warned her to have nothing to do with him, or any members of the Clann. But when Tristan is suddenly everywhere she goes, Savannah fears she's destined to fail.
For years, Tristan has been forbidden to even speak to Savannah Colbert. Then Savannah disappears from school for a week and comes back…different, and suddenly he can't stay away. Boys seem intoxicated just from looking at her. His own family becomes stricter than ever. And Tristan has to fight his own urge to protect her, to be near her no matter the consequences….

I was really pleasantly surprised by this book. I was expecting your average paranormal vampire book, but actually Crave completely sucked me in (pun intended.) As soon as the story really gets going I was completely hooked and I'm now desperate to get my hands on the second book. Pop back on the 6th for my review and a Q&A with the lovely Melissa!

Heartbroken over the tragic death of her fiancé, seventeen-year-old Zora Stewart leaves Baltimore for the frontier town of West Glory, Oklahoma, to help her young widowed aunt keep her homestead going. There she discovers that she possesses the astonishing ability to sense water under the parched earth. When her aunt hires her out as a “springsweet” to advise other settlers where to dig their wells, Zora feels the burden of holding the key to something so essential to survival in this unforgiving land. Even more, she finds herself longing for love the way the prairie thirsts for water.
Maybe, in the wildness of the territories, Zora can finally move beyond simply surviving and start living.

The Vespertine was one of my favourite books from last year. I absolutely adored it. Saundra has an incredibly lyrically beautiful way of writing that completely drew me in and I couldn't get enough of her first book. Now with the release of the second in the series, I'm even more excited - so prepare for some major Springsweet love in the next few weeks!

Kate Winters has won immortality. But if she wants a life with Henry in the Underworld, she'll have to fight for it.Becoming immortal wasn't supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she's as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he's becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate's coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.Henry's first wife, Persephone.


I'm in the middle of 'The Goddess Test' at the moment and absolutely loving it, so I can't wait to see what happens to Kate next... But shush, no spoilers yet, I need to finish the first book!

No comments:

Post a Comment