Tuesday 22 January 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Totally Meant to Read in 2018 and Failed to

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by the fabulous Jana at The Artsy Reader Girl. You can join in with future topics here!

Sure, 2018 was a year of me finally climbing (slowly) out of my reading slump, but there were a whole load of books that sat forlornly on my to read pile as I kept promising I'd get to them and (repeatedly) failed to. This year, books, I promise...

Tess of the Road by Rachel Hartman
I loved Seraphina and then loathed Shadow Scale. So I both desperately want to read and don't want to read this latest from Hartman. I'm working up to it slowly. I'll start it when it least expects me to and take it by surprise.

Onyx & Ivory by Mindee Arnett
I totally meant to read this one over the festive break but never quite got to it. It's another one that I'm super excited to read though, so it won't be long before I get there. And I totally haven't been saying that since I bought it in July...

Hunted by Meagan Spooner
So many good things have been floating around about this, and I've picked it up to start it several times, only to get side-tracked by other things. I'm probably mostly just afraid it won't live up to my high hopes.

A Treacherous Curse by Deanna Raybourn
I seem to be a year behind on these... I read book two as book three was coming out, and now I'm getting to the third book just as the fourth book is released. One day I'll catch up!

The Other Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn
I adore Julia Quinn's books so I have no idea why I've failed so terribly at getting on to this one. Maybe I'm just saving it for a rainy day when I really need a burst of sunshine and happy romance.

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon
I'd hoped to read this one before the fourth season came out, but I think I missed that window of opportunity. Alas, it will wait and tide me over when the season is over and I'm missing Claire and Jamie.

Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor
I've finally caught up with Strange the Dreamer in the first few weeks of this year, but I still haven't caught up with everyone else and read the sequel to the dark and beautiful tale from Laini Taylor. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the first book, and going into the second I still don't really know, but I'm excited. 

Prudence by Gail Carriger
Following the completion of The Parasol Protectorate series, I've managed to miss all of Gail's new novels. They're stacking up nicely on my to read pile for an excellent binge session soon.

The Fate of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
I really loved the first book, I found the second one really weird and thoroughly baffling, and as a result the third book has just sat in perpetual anticipation for me finally finishing this trilogy.

Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake
I adored the first two books, yet something didn't quite work when I picked up this third one. I think I must have been in the wrong frame of mind, so I'm waiting for the right moment to go back to it.

Now over to you, tell me some of the books you wanted to get to and didn't quite make it to in time last year!

14 comments:

  1. I've heard some good things about Hunted but haven't read it yet either.

    This is my Top Ten Tuesday post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's one of those books I keep hearing amazing things and just haven't yet managed to pick it up. Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  2. I've been meaning to read Hunted for ages, need to finally get around to that!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2019/01/22/top-ten-tuesday-195/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! All signs point to it being excellent!

      Delete
  3. I want to read Hunted too, I've constantly been told about it.
    hope you enjoy your 2019 reads!
    My TTT: https://bookishtreats.wordpress.com/2019/01/22/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-meant-to-read-in-2018-but-didnt-get-to/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hopefully I'll get round to it soon... I hope you enjoy it when you get to it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I need to just put everything else aside and get on to this don't I?...

      Delete
  5. I didn't include Hunted on my list but I did check out last year from the library because it sounded so good. But then I got sidetrack with other books and my library copy eventually expired. I am hoping to read it this year. It sounds really good.

    Tina @ As Told By Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope you get to it this year and really enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I need to get to Prudence as well since I've finished the Parasol Protectorate, but first I plan on completing the Finishing School series. :)

    Check out my TTT and my ARC review of Enchantée by Gita Trelease

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh, I need to get onto the Finishing School Series too! So many good books to read!

      Delete
  7. So many great titles on here! But, I have to single out Hunted. I really enjoyed that one, so I hope you do, too! And Drums of Autumn is on my list, as well! I have been trying to take my time in reading the Outlander books because they are just so... AHH, I just love them.

    As for the rest of these, I hope you enjoy them when you get to them. Tess of the Road has such a beautiful cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean about the Outlander books - I keep saving them for when I really need to just vanish into a book for a while! I'm noticing a theme about reading Hunted, I should get on that!

      Delete