Tuesday 4 December 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Festive!

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by the fabulous Jana at The Artsy Reader Girl. You can join in with future topics here!

It's December! And that means that some of us are gearing up for Christmas! Regardless of whether you celebrate Christmas or not, now is the perfect time of year to curl up in front of the fire with a mug of tea and an excellent book or Christmas film. I am a sucker for a good Christmas film...
So here are five books and five films that I think are perfect for this festive season!

A Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J Maas
This is essentially one fluffy Christmas interlude and I adore it. It was so lovely to experience a respite from the darkness at the end of the original trilogy, and to see how these characters are when they aren't fighting for their lives. Plus presents and snow and general festivities! It's the perfect time of year for it.

Silent in the Sanctuary by Deanna Raybourn
Can you get any more Christmassy than a murder at a country home at Christmas time? No I didn’t think so. I love the Lady Julia Grey series anyway, but the second book in the series holds a special place in my heart at this time of year. There’s something about the dinners and intrigues, and presents, snow, hunts, and Christmas pudding making, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I particularly recommend reading this book by an open fire.

Harry Potter series by J K Rowling
Despite only being brief snippets in each book, the Christmas moments in every single Harry Potter book are fabulous. The Christmas trees! The decorating! The magical bubbles out of Professor Flitwick’s wand! Everything. Whether it’s just a handful of students, or pretty much the whole school in preparation for the ball – I love the atmosphere, the Weasley jumpers, and the insane crackers. Go re-read all the books – or just pick out the Christmas bits to get you in the festive mood!

From Notting Hill with Love... Actually by Ali McNamara
I read this one for the first time just before Christmas several years ago. Combine that with the title and fabulous rom-com references throughout and you've got a perfect festive read. After all, Christmas is the season for watching rom-coms. A lot.
So go grab a copy, curl up and make sure you’ve got those rom-coms ready for re-watching straight after.


The Further Observations of Lady Whistledown by Julia Quinn, Suzanne Enoch, Karen Hawkins and Mia Ryan
A collection of my favourite regency romance authors, combined with the deliciously witty observations of Julia Quinn's Lady Whistledown, a gossip columnist that documents the scandals and parties of the ton. is a match made in heaven. Set at Christmas time, this delightful set of tales is exactly what you could wish for to curl up with under a blanket. 

The Holiday
Possibly my favourite Christmas film, there's something truly wonderful about this one. It's like chicken soup with a festive twist and a whole lot of heart. Yes I may watch it more than once this month, don't judge me...

Love, Actually
Even if you don't want to watch this film, you will inevitably end up watching it over Christmas. It's on TV on a near permanent basis, and sure it's got its problems, but it's still a wonderful festive film. I love all the different relationships, the different types of love on show, the heart warming nature of it all. And I can't ever resist that glorious airport chase and Colin Firth going to find his lady love to that beautiful soundtrack.

White Christmas

There's nothing like a good old fashioned white Christmas. Add in some musical numbers, Bing Crosby, and a whole heap of snow, and I'm happy.
This is still one of my favourites to come back to each year, there's just something wonderfully hopeful about it.

Nativity!
Honestly I watched this film the first time because Martin Freeman being a grumpy primary school teacher seemed like an amusing concept. I've watched it every other time since then because it's a genuinely heart warming, funny, and good film. The kids! The humour! The sass! The frankly ridiculous set up! The AMAZING nativity at the end. I adore it.

Die Hard
My husband has worked very hard the entire time I've known him, to convince me that Die Hard is a Christmas film... On watching it together for the first time he pointed out the fact that it's set around Christmas (Festive!), there are lots of Christmas decorations (see, festive!), there's lots of red (sure it's blood, but red is festive!) and white stuff fluttering from the sky (shush, I know it's shredded paper, but look, FESTIVE!)
Thus Die Hard has become a Christmas film...

So there you have a sneak peak at what I'll be watching and reading whilst I'm eating mince pies and drinking far too much tea. What about you?

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I love so many of these. White Christmas is probably one of my favourite holiday films of all time. And of course Love Actually and The Holiday are good. I only just watched The Holiday for the first time last year (I know, super late) but I adored it. I may have rewatched it way too many times since then! As for the book portion of this, I really grew to love A Court of Frost and Starlight. You are right, it's such a nice and soft interlude from an otherwise dark story.

    ReplyDelete