Thursday 27 September 2018

Film Review: A Simple Favor

With a powerhouse duo in the form of Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick, and a director known for his comedies, "A Simple Favor" had intrigued me right from the start, and with good reason.

The trailers were filled with the promise of dark humour and a twisty plot and the film actually surpassed my expectations on both fronts. Kendrick and Lively are given ample space to truly shine, and prove what brilliant actors they are with their turns in both the comedic and darker moments. 

From the moment we're introduced to Kendrick's busybody, single mum -  overcompensating with every aspect of her parenting to try and assuage the guilt she keeps locked far away and only allows out in the presence of some very strong gin martinis - the entire audience was laughing out loud.

"Doesn't every good parent have their own helium tank?"

Once you add in the gloriously chic elegance of Lively's dark Emily, (whose wardrobe and confidence I would like immediately) the film truly ignites.

" - you never let me have any fun."
"Not true. I let you tear my labia as you exited my body."


She's brash and outspoken and utterly glorious, and watching these two interact is an absolute delight. Whilst Kendrick has become known for her comedic talents, this film truly gives Lively a chance to shine as she steals almost every scene she's in. Those viewers who had dismissed her for her previous roles should sit up and take note - her performance is a revelation and I cannot wait to see what she tackles next.

The film doesn't let up, and you can feel the delight radiating off the screen. It feels like everyone involved is having an absolute ball, and it shows. Fieg dances along the line of dark humour and tension filled thriller with complete confidence and panache, defying anyone to not enjoy this crazy romp. I'm not normally a fan of thrillers, but this is pitched absolutely perfectly and roars through to the climax.

Admittedly the finale, whilst it had me breathless with anticipation, does come a little off the rails. All subtlety is forsaken for an overblown, gloriously ridiculous final act. But it works, although a few moments may have some viewers rolling their eyes.

All in all I loved it. It was smart and funny and incredibly dark and twisted at times. It's a truly glorious macabre romp that showcases both Kendrick and Lively beautifully. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it, and I'll be heading back for a re-watch in the next few days.

A Simple Favor is in UK cinemas now

No comments:

Post a Comment