Tuesday 1 January 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Books I've read in 2018

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by the fabulous Jana at The Artsy Reader Girl. You can join in with future topics here!

2018 was a pretty good year for books. It marked the end of one of my longest periods of not reading, and I really loved getting back into the swing of things and making headway on my truly ridiculous to read pile (it was threatening to crush me in my sleep).
In my attempts to catch up I've skipped all over the place - some fantasy, some contemporary, a good heap of romance - and it has been great.
So here you have ten of my favourite reads from the last year.

Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J Maas
How is the series over? How is that even possible? What do I do with this giant Throne of Glass shaped hole? I really enjoyed the final book in the series. It was a (mostly) satisfying conclusion to a really incredible saga. I admit I did find myself becoming a little bit frustrated with turns of events about three quarters of the way through, but I'm willing to overlook those because the rest of it was so good.
You can read my review here.


Speak Easy, Speak Love by McKelle George


This was a surprise that appeared from nowhere. I'd not come across this one anywhere, and then suddenly Angie wrote a review of it, and I was feverish with excitement to read it. Thankfully, as is so often the case with books I read due to Angie, it absolutely lived up to expectations and I loved it. A truly glorious twist on 'Much Ado About Nothing', it's been given to a few number of people for Christmas to share the love.
You can read my review here.

The Queen's Rising by Rebecca Ross
This was another surprise that I completely fell in love with. There was something about the writing, the plot, and the character's that just filled me with joy. I really adored this book and I can't wait to read the sequel next spring. If you're looking for an engaging fantasy with some of the same feelings as "The Queen of the Tearling" then look no further!

You can read my review here.

Children of Blood & Bone by Tomi Adeyemi
There was so much buzz surrounding this one, that I put off reading it for ages for fear that it couldn't possibly live up to my expectations. Luckily it did, and I'm now desperately hankering after the second book to see what happens.

You can read my review here.

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon
Diverse fiction? Check! Great love story with fresh and fun romance? Check. Science minded lady and artsy guy? Check! This book was exactly what I needed. Great writing, an engaging pairing with some wonderful characters, and a really fun plot. I thoroughly enjoyed this and can't wait to read Sandhya's next book!

The Wicked Deep by Shea Ernshaw
Thrilling, filled with suspense and intrigue, and with a similar vibe to "The Brides of Rollrock Island", I was thoroughly captivated by this one. Atmospheric, chilling, and really engaging, I stormed through this one. Once I'd started I found it really difficult to put it down, and it's a story that's stayed with me ever since. I'm really excited to see what Shea writes next!


A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Spurred on by the appearance of the tv show for this, I finally got on with reading the book, and boy did I love it. Sure it had some Twilight-esq feelings about it, but I really did enjoy it. A great plot, fantastic world building, and some really enjoyable characters to follow, this was a great start to the trilogy and left me desperate for more.
You can read my review here.


Tower of Dawn by Sarah J Maas
I'd put off reading this one, not because of any of the usual reasons involving it not involving Aelin, but just because I wasn't managing to read. I didn't want to start reading it only to put it down a few pages later thanks to my own inability to concentrate. So I waited, and I eyed it, and as soon as I'd managed a couple of books at the start of the year, I kept my fingers crossed that the streak was broken and got stuck in. And I loved it. It's up there as one of my favourite of the series. It's different, it explores so much more of the world and the history of this world, and it's an absolute joy to read.

You can read my review here.


Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Handed to me in the last few weeks of the year, I was told by my sister in law that I needed to read this one stat. So I started it, and I got sucked in, and I completely adored it. Sometimes it's refreshing to have a standalone to cleanse the palette, and this one certainly did that. It skipped all over the place - every time I thought I had a handle on what kind of story it would be, it changed. It kept me on my toes, and I loved it. Expect a review in the new year!

A Thousand Perfect Notes by C G Drews
A heart-breaking first debut, Cait truly cemented herself as a writer to watch. Lyrical prose, a curious cast of characters, and a wonderful (read SOUL DESTROYING) plot that draws you in and plays on your emotions. It's a stunning debut, and I'm so excited for her second book next Spring. 
You can read my review here.

There are my ten best books from 2018, now share some of yours! Let me know which ones you agree with, and others you think I should get reading in the comments below!

1 comment: