Monday 31 December 2018

Taking Stock

The last year (and a bit) has been a rollercoaster, and a lot of it the not fun kind.
Towards the end of 2017 I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, and left my place of work due to my manager's response to that fact - both within a few short weeks. It was a truly awful time, added to by starting antidepressants, which whilst ultimately a saving grace, provided an additional challenge during the first few weeks as I tried to find some sort of equilibrium.

Part of my depression manifested in not being able to read. I couldn't settle to anything for more than a page or two at a time, and having that support system of books taken away at a time when I needed it most was really difficult.

However, at the start of this year, as I took some much needed time out to try and piece myself back together again, and the tablets started to do what they were meant to, I found a little corner of myself I recognised - the one that wanted to read again.

Whilst I've not read with the usual speed and intensity as I used to, having that piece of myself back has been a huge relief. Something that I now take less for granted. One that I've then been able to branch out into actually reviewing books again - this site had gone unused for far too long.

So whilst this time last year I was an absolute mess, over the last twelve months the good has outweighed the bad, and the to read pile has slowly been tackled.

I want to thank you, dear reader, for sticking through the quiet patches where this space wasn't used, and for coming back to hear my thoughts on books and TV and films in the last few months. It means a lot to me.

I also want to open up a line of communication for anyone who is struggling with mental health. I'm trying to talk more about mine, to try and remove some of the taboo around it, and part of what really helped me was having people around me who had been through similar things and could offer me understanding and support. So if you need someone to talk to, use any of the listed ways to contact me - I will always be here.

Happy new year everyone, I hope the next 12 months bring you wonderful books to read and happiness, even when it may not feel like that is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment