Tuesday 7 July 2015

Top Ten Hyped Books I've Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by the wonderful folks over at The Broke & The Bookish - to join in visit the link!

So this week we're talking about hyped books I've never read. Some of them shameful that I'm desperately trying to sort the time to read them now. Some of them ones I'm not fussed about, others I'll get to eventually. This week was surprisingly easy to find ten, although harder to narrow it down!


The Maze Runner by James Dashner
I also haven't seen the movie, but it's on both my list of things to read and to watch. It completely passed me by when it first came out and I've heard so many people talk about it and seen it in so many bookshops, but it's always been a vague 'some day I'll get round to it' instead of a burning desire to pick it up this instant. One day...

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
This is my most shameful admission yet. I started The Book Thief (admittedly long after it came out and everyone had been raving about it for some time) and loved it. It was beautifully written and I just fell into the story and got lost. But then Mum went into hospital and I stopped reading. I stopped whilst she was in there and I stopped for many months afterwards. I couldn't find the impetus to pick up a book, so this gorgeous book that I had been loving got put down. Now it's almost at the top of my to read pile and I am desperate to get onto it, I cannot wait to finally read it and then treat myself to a film night to watch the film afterwards.


Grey (Plus the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy) by E L James
This is the only book on this list that I can guarantee that I am never going to read. I have so many issues with the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy, and the idea of reading anything from Grey's point of view actually nauseates me. Plus it is infinitely more fun to just read all the reviews trashing the book and explaining in detail why it's a terrible read.


Percy Jackson & The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Again, heard good things, always had too many other things to do and books to read. I've been told repeatedly though that they're really very good and I really should be picking them up. Duly noted, will get to them at some point.

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Always meant to, but there are always so many incredible books coming out and I've never found the time to go back and pick this series up. I think I also O.D on vampires a few years back when every other book you picked up seemed to have them in and I very definitely needed a break from them. Still not quite there yet, but they're on my list and I'll get to them at some point.


A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket
I don't know how I've managed to miss these. They're always been a series I've been aware of but I haven't ever made the time to read them. Again, heard very good things about them and maybe when I have kids I will make time for some Lemony Snicket bed time stories and discover them for the first time with my children.


The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
On my to read list, cannot believe I haven't made the time to read it yet. I enjoy crime novels but I'm usually more of a fan of historical so this will be a bit of a departure from the norm, but I am really really curious about Rowling's latest works and I've heard some very good things about it. One day!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon
I genuinely have no idea why I have always been so resistant to reading this. I was probably recommended it by someone I don't like or something, but anyway, the block has always been there and I've never even been curious. Not even in the night time.


The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
Always meant to, but the idea of a depressing book with a dead girl in never appealed to me at the time that it came out. I've heard good things about it, and so I should probably stick it onto my to read list at some point, but the urge just isn't there in the same way as the books I really want to read. And really, there's no point in forcing that.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Another one that I always meant to pick up and never got around to. I heard so many rave reviews from other bloggers, and I kept on meaning to grab it. Then the film came out and everyone raved about that too, so it isn't one I've forgotten, it's always there hovering on the edge of my to read pile, but it hasn't quite made it to the top yet.

So there you have my top ten hyped books that I've never read. Are there any you think I should get onto reading straight away? Any that you agree with? And what about your own lists? Link me in the comments below!

18 comments:

  1. Ooh it looks like we have a couple of the same books on our lists! I completely agree about 50 shades! I would recommend reading Gone Girl and The Cuckoo's Calling because I enjoyed both of them :)

    Joanna
    Joannas Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few on here that I will eventually get around to (some though that I really really wont...) and those two are definitely ones I hope to read soon! Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I also (amazingly) have not gotten around to reading The Cuckoo's Calling! I adore J.K. Rowling and liked The Casual Vacancy, so I have no good excuse. It's definitely on my to-read list. I've also skipped out on the Vampire Academy series, but that's one I may never pick up. I'm sure it's great, but I've had enough vampires for a while, haha.

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a lot of people hit their vampire limit! JK's writing is so good, I can't believe I haven't read it yet, but I'm so excited to get stuck into it and the following books. I really hope you enjoy it too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Rosy! I really enjoyed Maze Runner, the book is much better than the film in my opinion so please read it first :) Vampire Academy is actually rather good. I only read it last year. I was worried it wouldn't live up to the hype but I quite enjoyed it. I meant to read the rest of the series but started reading J Armentrout's Half-Blood instead (which is sort of similar I suppose). As you know The Book Thief is also on my list so we are in that shame circle together lol.

    I'd like to read Lovely Bones and Gone Girl at some point but as you say they never quite make it too the top of the pile. There really are too many good books out there :)

    Happy Reading
    Rachel @ Paein-and-Ms4Tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to read the books before watching the film, but I shall make sure it definitely happens with The Maze Runner - thanks for the heads up :) I've heard really good things about Vampire Academy, and one day I'll get there. I tried a vampire book a few days ago and apparently I'm still not at the enjoying vampire books again stage... One day! So many good books and so little time! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I haven't read any of the books mentioned in your post either!!

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/07/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-hyped-books-ive.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange how some popular or hyped books just end up never reaching the top of the to read pile! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. We have The Book Thief in common! I really need to read it. You have several books that I really liked on your list. So I hope you enjoy them one day!

    My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to make time for a few of them over the summer, I can't believe I haven't found time for several of them yet! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  6. I really enjoyed The Maze Runner and Vampire Academy. I read the first few Lemony Snicket books and they were fun. I'll never read Grey either...yuck. Great list!

    Michelle @ Michelle's Minions

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are two I'm hoping to make time for this summer, I've hard very good things about them. Glad to know it's not just me who refuses to pick up Grey! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  7. I've read The Maze Runner, The Book Thief, Vampire Academy, A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time and The Lovely Bones, and enjoyed all of them. I'd quite like to Gone Girl. I have no intention of reading Grey or any of the books in the 50 Shades of Grey trilogy for that matter.

    Serena / www.ramblingsofanotherunistudent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good hearing so many endorsements for so many of these. I'm going to try and slot in a few of these into my summer to read pile because it's getting a bit silly that I haven't read some of them! Glad to know it's not just me against the 50 Shades books. Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I hope you pick up The Book Thief soon, it's a wonderful book. The Lighting Thief is on my list too, I actually bought myself a copy because it's time I give this series a shot. Great list!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy Percy Jackson too! I thought I was the only one left who hadn't read it, I'm glad I've got company! I'm chaffing to get to The Book Thief. I've just got a few more books I need to read before I can get into it. Hopefully this time it will be uninterrupted! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  9. Gone Girl is on my list, too, although I'm never going to read it. I started it. Twice. But I couldn't get past the excessive crudity. Like it seemed SO excessive to me. But I don't know.

    Also, I hope you pick up the Book Thief again because it's one of my all-time favorite books.

    And A Series of Unfortunate Events...have you heard that Netflix is releasing a new TV show about them? I'm interested to see what direction they take with them!

    Great list!
    TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that doesn't sound great. I shall be wary going in, thanks for the heads up! I loved what I read of The Book Thief the first time so I cannot wait to get to it again. I hadn't heard about the new TV show! That sounds like it's going to be interesting! I shall keep an eye out for more info!

      Delete