Wednesday 31 October 2012

Books I'm Squeeing About in November

Welcome back to The Review Diaries monthly look at the books ahead!

I can't quite get over that we're now coming in to November and this will be the last month before the Christmas countdown begins - crazyness I know! And to add to the celebrations November also sees the celebration of my two year blogiversary!  I know, I can't believe it either! So expect plenty of giveaways, guest posts, interviews and excitements at the end of the month! Next month will be filled with books both Christmassy and not, and plenty of stocking fillers, but for now let's have a look at some of the goodies we have arriving on our shelves this month - it's going to be a good one, some of the best has definitely been saved up until last this year!

'Tis the season for an investigation! Lady Julia and Nicholas Brisbane return for a Christmas caper at Bellmont Abbey.
After a year of marriage—and numerous adventures—Lady Julia and Brisbane hope for a quiet, intimate Christmas together—until they find themselves at her father's ancestral estate, Bellmont Abbey, with her eccentric family and a menagerie of animals.
Nevertheless, Julia looks forward to a lively family gathering—but amongst the celebrations, a mystery stirs. There are missing jewels, new faces at the Abbey, and a prowling ghost that brings back unwelcome memories from a previous holiday—one that turned deadly. Is a new culprit recreating crimes of the past? And will Brisbane let Julia investigate?

Oh my, the next best thing to a new Lady Julia novel? A Lady Julia novella! And back at Belmont Abbey! For Christmas! This has the makings of unbelievable glee for me. My only worry, as someone who lives in the UK, will I still be able to get hold of it? Let's hope I can!

In a German town, long ago, lives a tooth-puller's boy called Klaus. It isn't Klaus's fault that he sees his master steal a diamond from the mouth of a dead man in Frau Drecht's lodging house, or that Frau Drecht and her murderous son want it for themselves.
He has nothing to do with the Jesuit priest and his Aztec companion who turn up out of the blue looking for it, or the Professor of Anatomy who takes such a strange interest in it. No, Klaus doesn't want any trouble.
But when he finds himself with the diamond in his pocket, things really can't get much worse - that is, until the feathered man appears. Then they become a matter of life... and death.

I first heard about this book at the Random House book bloogers brunch back in June, and I couldn't wait to read more. Everything about it intrigued me, from the cover and the title to that fabulous blurb, and it did not disappoint  This book is absolutely fantastic, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Who says fate is written in the stars? Set in seventeenth-century Europe, JEPP is the coming-of-age story of a teenage dwarf limited not only by his height but by his destiny. Seemingly bound for a life of misery as an astronomer's court dwarf, Jepp must prove himself to be a capable and trustworthy student in order to escape his fate. Willing to defy the stars to win the life he wants and the woman he loves, Jepp must choose his own course and become the man he wants to be. Thrilling, romantic and in turns heart-warming and heartbreaking, JEPP is a highly original and unforgettable story about one young man's struggle to escape his destiny. Based on a real seventeenth-century historical figure, Jepp's story includes violence, love, astrology, astronomy, and even a beer-drinking moose.

This book crept onto my radar when Angie over at Angieville was talking about it months ago, and I have been desperate to see whether it would live up to my expectations. It's another artful blend of cover, blurb and title and I absolutely adore it. Jepp's story is one of those that will stay with you long after you've turned the last page.


In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Karou must come to terms with who and what she is, and how far she’ll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, mysteries and secrets, new characters and old favorites, Days of Blood and Starlight brings the richness, color and intensity of the first book to a brand new canvas.

Yes, just yes. 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone' was one of the top books of last year for me, and I literally cannot wait to get my hands on the second book in this series. There are no words to accurately describe how unbelievably excited I am for this release.

Imagine waking up in a snow globe. . . 
That's how travel journalist Krista feels when she arrives in magical Quebec to report on Canada's glittering Winter Carnival.
Over ten sub-zero days Krista's formerly frozen heart begins to melt as she discovers an enchanting world of ice palaces, husky dog-sledding and maple-syrup treats galore. And then she meets Jacques, a man as handsome and rugged as he is mysterious. . .
The two share a secret that could bond them forever, but can they find a way to break through the protective layers around their hearts to warm up this winter wonderland?
. . . let the snow-spangled adventure begin.

I know, I know, I promised to wait on the Christmas extravaganza until the end of November, but I just can't wait, a new Belinda Jones book is on the horizon! I love her steamy summer reads, so the prospect of one for Christmas makes me a very happy girl. Jones always brings a brilliant mix of escapism, romance and fantastic settings to combine into escapist reads that I adore.

Spooky, chilling and twisted, the highly anticipated sequel to award-winning author Leanna Renee Hieber s darkly romantic debut For Natalie Stewart, a normal life has never seemed so far away. Her only solace, Lord Jonathan Denbury, is wanted for murder. To clear his name, Denbury s must return to England and assume the role of his demon doppelganger. But Natalie begins to doubt his true motives, especially as a new gentleman begins whispering in her ear. Natalie and Denbury may be able to visit each other in their dreams, but they can t escape the darkening shadows. Amid spontaneous explosions, friends turned enemies and dangerous secrets revealed, there's still a demon who has Natalie's scent, and someone is trying to resurrect the ultimate evil.

Darker Still was one of the unexpected surprises of last year, and I absolutely adored it, and now I can't wait to see what's in store for Natalie next. The novel really captured my imagination and now that Jonathan is a little less confined to artwork I can't wait to see his and Natalie's relationship blossom. But added to that are demons! Doppelgangers! And Magic Most Foul! What more could one want?

Scarlett O'Brien, utterly addicted to romantic films, has found her leading man. She's convinced Sean is Mr Right, but the day-to-day reality of a relationship isn't quite like the movies. With Sean constantly away on business, Scarlett and her new best friend Oscar decide to head to New York for the holiday of a lifetime.

From one famous landmark to the next, Scarlett and Oscar make many new friends during their adventure - including sailors in town for Fleet Week, a famous film star, and Jamie & Max, a TV reporter and cameraman. Scarlett finds herself strangely drawn to Jamie, they appear to have much in common: a love of films and Jamie's search for a parent he never knew. But Scarlett has to ask herself why she is reacting like this to another man when she's so in love with Sean...

I absolutely adored 'From Notting Hill with Love... Actually' it was one of the wittiest and best chick lits I have ever read, so you can imagine my excitement when I saw that a sequel is being released! But there is always a little voice that worries with things like this. Just like Pocahontas 2 (terrible film, don't see it) will the happily ever after be thrown over for a new 'one true love?' I can't help but worry, but I have faith that Ali will do what she's so good at doing - blowing me away with how fantastic her writing is, so I'm sure all will be well!

So those are my squeeful books, what about yours? Are there any here that you're excited for, or even some new ones you're looking out for now? And what did I miss? Tell me the books you're excited about in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment