Tuesday 20 November 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Bookish Thankfuls

Top Ten Tuesday is a feature hosted by the fabulous Jana at The Artsy Reader Girl. You can join in with future topics here!

We've all got bookish things we're thankful for, a lot of them we take for granted, and since now is the time to express thankfulness, this seemed like the perfect time to mention some of mine.

My kindle
Sure I love the look and feel and smell of a real book, but my kindle is such an incredibly useful tool and I don't know what I'd do without it. Late night reading without wanting to disturb anyone with the light on? No problem! Can't decide what book I want to take on holiday but really don't have space for all six hardbacks I'd like to take? Easy solution. I feel so spoiled with it, and I can't do without it now.

Authors putting out content so frequently
There's always a lot of griping between books that the wait is far too long, but honestly, the amount of time and work that goes into each book, the fact that we get new novels so frequently from our favourite authors is incredible.

Random things as bookmarks
Anything can and will be used as a bookmark in my house. And a lot of them end up making me smile every time I open the book and see it again. Pictures of loved ones, receipts for special things, train tickets that remind me of trips away, ribbons from my wedding bouquet. If it's flat enough to go in the book, I'll use it.

Beautiful covers
We are so spoiled with gorgeous covers, and there are so many that I absolutely adore. Whilst I'd still love books and reading without the pretty covers, I am thankful for the extra happiness they bring when I pick up a book.

Access to so many books
I am incredibly lucky that I have really easy access to a lot of books. Sure I gripe sometimes when books come out in the US but there's a long wait before they reach the UK, but in the grand scheme of things that isn't really a problem. I have libraries and book stores and kindle books and I know I'm very lucky to have all of that.

Social Media
Sure social media has its downsides too, but the access and insights it offers for authors is incredible. Instead of admiring someone's work from afar, it has never been easier to contact them to say what an impact their work has had on you. To see their writing process and day to day lives. It's a privilege and I'm really thankful for it.

Book bloggers
There's a really amazing community built up around book blogging, and I feel really lucky and thankful that I'm a part of it. I've made some amazing friends through it, and discovered so many books that otherwise might have passed me by.


Books introducing me to new places
A lot of my travel is fuelled from reading about a place in a book first. Visiting Prague? Thanks "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" by Laini Taylor! Most of my European exploring? The Drina series by Jean Estoril. My desperate longing to go to Capri? Entirely on "I Love Capri" by Belinda Jones. Books open up windows into new and exciting places, and if it's written well I'm pretty much guaranteed to want to visit.

Books that help me through difficult times
Whether it's a chicken soup read that helps give me something fluffy to escape into when life gets tough, or a book with a heroine who suffers from depression fighting her way through to happiness, books can come to you at exactly the right moment and offer a hug, a helping hand, or a window to peep through - something I will always be grateful for.


Adaptations
Sometimes adaptations of books fall way short of the mark (I'm looking at you film version of City of Bones) but sometimes they're awesome and provide a whole new way to escape the real world for a bit. Often they end up deviating from the source material, but it's always fun to see how things unfold in this new medium. Notable tv examples of this are The Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, Shadowhunters, Game of Thrones, and Outlander.

There you have ten things that I'm thankful for, now tell me some of yours in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment